"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Random Musings on a July Afternoon

So, I took a month off from the blog. I was getting in a box with it and I didn't want to be in a box. I felt like everything was getting too corrective. Do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that. Honestly, I haven't read my blog in a month, so I don't know if I was actually writing that way or just leaning toward writing that way. In either case, I didn't want to write that way. I'm so tired of correction and judgement and the whole "you're doing it wrong" attitude that seems to be pervading the atmosphere. If God had wanted us to run around judging each other, then why would He have sent Jesus to take the judgement for us? Don't get me wrong - correction is a wonderful thing when it is done properly and in season. Otherwise it's just irritating.

Which brings me to... what do I want to write... or rather how do I want to write? I don't know. But flowing is a wonderful thing. Flowing can take you places that you didn't expect to go and reveal some wonderful surprises.

I know one thing that I want to write about... how much God loves us! Oh, that again, you say? Well if you're reading my blog then get used to it. I have an entry in my blog notes that says, "write about His love, over and over again. Now write about Love more. Then do it some more." I think it's that important. When I close my eyes and reach out for my Father's love, it is right there with all the refreshment of cold water on a hot day (BTW - it's a 100 degrees out today, so I'm talking major refreshment). In church today, Pastor talked about the power of our imagination and how God would give us mind-movies to clarify our vision and intensify our faith. I remember one mind-movie that the Lord gave me a few years back, during a very difficult season of my life. I saw myself on a large rock outcropping in the midst of a vast sea of sand. I knew that in that sand, I would sink and struggle and everything would always be shifting. But, on that rock, I was steadfast. I could stand on that rock and know that I would not be moved. When I was tired, I could sit upon the rock and lean back on part of the rock ledge. I could rest on that rock with full confidence that I would not sink or shift. Nothing could move that rock. That's what God's love is to me - an invincible, immovable rock upon which I can rest, stand and live with absolute certainty that it will abide unchangeable beneath my feet. His love is my foundation for being. Throughout that difficult season, I could simply stop, close my eyes and experience the rock. I could feel the stability of that rock beneath me. It gave me priceless comfort. It still does. Do you know that He loves you? Well, He does.

Selah - pause and think about it.

I am excited that I get to celebrate something extra special tomorrow. Rick and I have our 24th wedding anniversary tomorrow. WOW! How awesome is that?! The high school sweethearts that no one thought should be together - married for 24 years! We met when he was 17 and I was 15. We were such kids! Rick and I say that we grew up together. I am so grateful for that. We are best friends and I am grateful for that too.

All the movement outside my window caught my eye, so I just paused in writing to watch all the activity at our bird feeders. The blue jays and sparrows are out in full force (we feed the birds that no one else wants to feed, and the squirrels too). There's also a pair of cardinals. While I was watching, a bird flew up and sat on the garden fence just outside my window. He sang to me. It sounded like he was singing, "Have no fear! Have no fear!" He sang a few verses, then he flew away. What a treat! Nommy the cat, who is perched on the back of my chair, was quite intrigued but remained perched.

How cool is that! I let my writing flow, not expecting to write about birds and I got a surprise!

Enough for today, I guess. It's good to be out of the box. It's good to smile and enjoy the rock. It's good to look forward to a date with my sweetheart tomorrow. It's good to write what is in my heart. Thank you for reading. God loves you!!

No comments: