"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Prodigal Son’s Father

I have often pondered Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32). It is a story so rich, that it offers up new treasures every time I dig into it. For years, I was baffled by the father’s actions. As a parent, it was even harder to understand. His actions seemed to go against my idea of what a parent should do. Yet, I knew that if Jesus offered this as a model of proper authority, it was in my best interest to learn from it.  I have found myself continually returning to this story and seeking the Lord’s wisdom as to the father’s motives and actions.

In keeping proper context, I must acknowledge that Jesus told this parable in response to the Pharisees question of why He associated with sinners. Jesus answered through the telling of three parables – the man who left the ninety-nine sheep to go after the one lost sheep, the woman who searched her house for the one coin lost out of ten, and the father with one faithful son and one prodigal son. These stories clearly indicate that Jesus is speaking about the importance of restoration. His focus is directed toward the one who is in a position of responsibility or authority – the shepherd, the woman with the coins, the father – and how they should act when a relationship or connection has been breached. As a parent, I recognize that this lesson is meant for me.

My initial questions as to the father’s actions have always been, “why did you give the kid the money in the first place?! Didn’t you know he would just go blow it?” In answer to the second question: yes, he probably did! I found the answer to my first question in Luke 22:31-34. Jesus knew that Peter would betray Him; but He was not moved by that knowledge because He had prayed that Peter’s faith would not fail and He knew that Peter would be restored and would be stronger than before. This passage tells us three things:
  1. Jesus knew Peter very well, through both personal knowledge and discernment.
  2. Jesus had faith that His prayer would be answered.
  3. Jesus trusted His Father more than He trusted Peter.

I found that when I applied these three principles to the father of the two sons, his actions made sense. Luke 15:12 states: And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. Only one son asked for his portion, but the father divided to them both. I believe that the father knew his sons well enough to know what they would do with their inheritances. The father also had faith that the young son would return. How do I know? Because Luke 15:20 states: But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him…. That means that Daddy was watching for his boy and expecting him to come home! He knew his son and he trusted God! The same faith in God that Abraham displayed by taking Isaac up the mountain to sacrifice is demonstrated by the father who allowed his sons to make their own decisions regarding their inheritances. And what a message he gave to his sons by doing so! When he divided his living unto them, it was the same as saying: “Sons, I love you more than my wealth and I trust God to guide you.”

So, I came to understand why the father gave his sons’ their inheritances; but I still wondered how he could welcome that greedy brat home without any reprimand, yelling, or punishment. After all, that’s a parent’s job! Isn’t it?

Our Father established authority in the earth to represent Himself by giving instruction, boundaries, guidance and even discipline when it is needed. Parents, teachers, pastors, government leaders are all set in authority for this purpose. Yet, God the Father is still the highest authority. Ultimately, He wants to be the authority in our life that supersedes all others. If we are obedient to Him, why would any other authority need to correct us? Relationship is His greatest desire. When it is broken, He desires to restore it (which is the heart of Jesus’ message here).  

So, think about our story. When did restoration take place? When the son came home? When he confessed his sin to his father? I believe it happened when “he came to himself” and made the decision to return to his father, confess his sin and humble himself to become his father’s servant (verses 17-18). That was the moment of true repentance! The revelation of his father’s goodness brought him to repentance. Once that happened, he corrected his course, turned around and went back home. No further correction was needed. His father was wise enough to recognize that fact! What would have happened if the father had yelled at the son or punished him at this point? The father would have been guilty of holding his judgment above God’s, because the son had already repented. It would have caused a breech in the relationship instead of restoration.

Picture this: the father going about his daily life, continually looking towards the road in faith that his son will return and be restored. He’s not worried that his son will come around looking for more money or having an attitude. His faith is set upon his son coming home humbled and appreciative. When he sees his son in the distance, the father’s compassionate love for his son overshadows any prideful impulse to correct his son any further, knowing by faith that the matter is settled and past. He is free to embrace his son and express his love openly. He patiently allows his son to make his confession; then he restores the young man to his rightful place and celebrates.

I have found the father in this parable to be a wonderful example of love in action! He was patient in waiting for his son’s return, he loved his son more than his own self or his wealth, he believed the best about his son, he rejoiced in his son’s restoration rather than in his iniquity and he endured the loss of half his fortune with no bitterness. It is the desire of my heart to be this kind of parent! I press towards the mark, knowing that when I fall short, my Father will be that kind of parent to me and will help me to be a better one to my sons.

One last note: I used to think that the oldest son had every right to be upset with his father for celebrating the youngest son’s return; but I have come to realize that if the oldest son had loved his brother more than he loved his father’s approval, he would have been rejoicing too.


No comments: