"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Why?


Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~ Proverbs 3:5-6

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall you call upon me, and you shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And you shall seek me, and find me, when you shall search for me with all your heart. ~ Jeremiah 29:11-13

It happens to us all at times. Our hopes and plans seem to fall apart. Disappointment crushes our dreams. Someone hurts us deeply. Or worse, we watch a loved one struggle and suffer. Someone dear to us becomes gravely ill and despite everyone’s prayers and faith, they decline. We feel helpless and unable to ease their pain. In each of these situations, we often find ourselves crying out to God, asking “Why?”

I believe it is part of human nature to question, to seek for the knowledge that is beyond our grasp. It was that very longing that the serpent manipulated to tempt Eve. And, like Eve, we get into trouble when we get the notion that we are entitled to answers. So many times, I have witnessed Christians question God. “Why didn’t that person receive a healing when we all prayed so fervently?” “Why did my loved one suffer and die?” “Why didn’t I get that job or promotion?” “Why is my child being rebellious?” “Why haven’t my prayers been answered yet?” And so many times I have seen people make up their own answers when God did not provide His. “Well, she must have sin in her life if she’s not healed.” “He must have died because he refused to forgive someone.”  “God must be mad at me.” “He must be punishing me for something.” And the most common of all, “That person just doesn’t have enough faith!” Personally, I have been guilty of all these questions and I have presumed to have all the answers.

However, the Lord, in His gracious love, continually corrects me.

A few years ago, my family took a vacation to the Gulf Coast. I loved to walk out as far as I could in the waves and simply drink in the experience of the sea. Shortly after that trip, I was having a “whiny why” spell and the Lord stopped me. He reminded me of my time at the beach and used that experience to teach me a very precious lesson. When I stood on the beach, looking out across the water, all I could see was the surface of the water. The waves continually flowed to the shore. There was so much movement, but all coming towards me. If I did not know anything about the sea or never set foot in the water, my knowledge would always be limited to what I saw with my eyes. When I walked way out into the water, though, I discovered an undercurrent that pulled the water back out to sea along the sandy bottom. Sometimes, I could feel seaweed or fish brush against my legs, but the water was not clear enough to see what was there. My knowledge of the sea was limited to my natural senses. I could speculate about what was going on beyond my senses, but I didn’t know the truth.

Every day, we live our lives like a person standing on the shore looking at a vast sea. We see the surface. But, God sees below the surface. This is why we are to walk by faith and not by sight. He sees into the hearts of us all. He knows the end from the beginning. He even sees beyond our life here on earth. Eternity is vast beyond our comprehension. Our lives here on earth are just a drop in the ocean. Our existence in these earthen vessels is unimaginably brief in the eyes of our Father. Suffering to us seems so profound, so vast and cruel and interminably long. In God’s eyes, it is but a flicker. Yet, He has such compassion for us! Still, I believe that He has a much different perspective on suffering than we do. How else could it please Him for Jesus to suffer for our sins so horribly. In the great span of eternity, Christ’s crucifixion was just for a brief instant. He endured because of the joy that was set before Him – the promise of eternity in His Father’s presence surrounded by all that would be redeemed by His sacrifice. His disciples did not understand this at the time of the crucifixion. They came to understand later, by the power of the Holy Spirit. In the meantime, I’m sure they were asking why.

As for myself, I am learning that I am not entitled to answers. My Heavenly Father is God. I am not. He does not answer to me, nor does He owe me any explanations. It annoys me greatly at times, but I’m learning to be content not knowing. God knows. I can let that be enough. There have been times that I have been terribly disappointed, hurt or frustrated that things did not go as I expected or wanted; only to hear the Lord whisper, "this is Me protecting you from something worse." Every time, circumstances have proven that I was better off not getting my way. I have endured some extremely painful trials, just to see God turn it all to my good. I am going through some now that I am absolutely puzzled by, but I trust God in the midst of them. I still get the “whiny whys”, yet I am learning to get up from them and say, “Lord, you are in control. I trust you.” I have come to know the character of God well enough to trust that His motives are pure and loving. His plans are always good. Yes, we do live in a fallen world where dark, evil things happen all around us every day. But, we can be comforted knowing that Jesus overcame the world.

I have some dear friends that are going through some trials right now. In my spirit, I hear their unspoken whys. Be comforted today in knowing that our Father is in control. As you stand watching the waves grow higher, know that He is working beneath the waves. He hears every prayer. He catches every tear. You may not understand, but know that He does. His ways are higher than our ways. His mercies are new every morning. His love envelopes you and all those dear to you. Know that an eternity is established ahead of us in which all suffering will cease. Have faith in our loving Father. Trust Him with all your heart and release your own understanding like releasing a balloon. Know that He is directing your path and the paths of your loved ones. Above all else, trust God.

Wonderful Father, I ask that You comfort hurting hearts today. Help my dear friends who are struggling through trials to trust Your divine wisdom. Help them to sense Your loving presence as You surround them with peace. May they be rooted and grounded in Your eternal love, knowing that your plans for them and their loved ones are good. Gift them with great faith, please Lord, so that they may always, in all circumstances, trust You. Amen.


No comments: