"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Sunday, November 11, 2012

On the Other Side




It is such a comfort to come from a family of faith, and to know that there is life on the other side of death. Yes, it’s still difficult and painful when a family member crosses over. But it’s good to have comfort in the knowledge of Heaven.

I think of families back in the pioneer days, when some would decide to load up a wagon and head west. I think of those family members that were left behind, not knowing what their loved ones were enduring or whether they were even still alive. They wondered if they would ever see their westward-bound family again, and so waited expectantly for news or a letter. Some of those who went west were never heard from again. The family back home would never know their fate.

When a member of my family dies, I think of them as making a journey. In some ways it’s like sending them off in a wagon train to a distant land that I have never seen, sure that I will never meet them again in this life. It’s hard to let go and the grief is overwhelming. I don’t know exactly what it will be like for them, what kind of an adventure it will be, or what their new home will look like. But, I have the comfort of knowing they will be safe beyond all pain and suffering. Even though this world will be emptier without them, even though I will miss them terribly, I find joy in the knowledge that my loved one is safely home.

Like the song says, I can only imagine what it is like on the other side. The Bible tells me enough to assure me that it is beautiful, lavish, joyful and secure. Sometimes I catch glimpses here and there – the sight of a long-gone family member who is now young and vibrant, a joyous voice that was so familiar here on earth, a glorious mist, angelic voices lifted in praise, and colors that are vivid beyond imagination. I can almost catch the excitement and anticipation that my heavenly family shares just before a loved one leaves us to join them. That great cloud of witnesses prepares to receive one home. I believe there is such grand rejoicing at their homecoming! Oh, what it must be like for the one who has just crossed over! How wonderful to finally reach that destination, to finally embrace those you have sorely missed, to meet generations of family for the first time, and to finally at long last be home! What a great and glorious joy it must be to finally meet Jesus face to face!

For those of us still on this side, as we say our goodbyes in the midst of our deep grief, let us lift our eyes and hearts in hope and perhaps catch a glimpse of the jubilant reunion taking place on the other side.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. ~ 1 Corinthians 15:54


HDR photo at top of page by Rick Welch, copyright 2012
 

No comments: