"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Starting NaNoWriMo in the Middle





A friend of Quinten's is participating in NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month (November). So when he told me about it last Thursday evening, I got excited. Sure it was already halfway through the month - literally, it was November 15 - but I decided to give it a go anyway. Hey, I'm up for a challenge!

NaNoWriMo is an annual competition held by a non-profit to encourage writers to write. The goal is to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days (Nov. 1-30). Anyone who reaches the goal is declared a winner. The prize - bragging rights!

I have wanted to write a novel for as long as I can remember. I have started about five, I think. So, I saw this as a wonderful discipline/learning experience. Yes, I was pretty intimidated by the fact that I'm starting at a significant handicap, having lost half the month. But even if I only reach 20,000 words, hey I will have written 20,000 words! This is a win-win situation. After reading a few forums on nanowrimo.org, I learned that lots of folks have started halfway through or even later and still won! Inspiring!

So, I am officially signed up and writing a novel. In just 48 hours, I have already written 6,222 words! The guys are being very supportive. Today I wrote while the guys hung Christmas lights. I gophered for them when they needed it, but I also wrote - a lot. Most importantly, I am having a blast!! Anyway, there will be no more blogs this month, because I will be busy writing a novel! My word count will be updated daily on the image above. Prayers and encouragement will be greatly appreciated. See you in December! In the meantime: Happy NaNoWriMo and Happy Thanksgiving!!

NaNoWriMo Journal:

11/19/12 - Amazingly, I have written 10,107 words in 3 days. I have a plot, characters and cliffhangers. I am learning the value of simply belting out a rough draft (and I do mean rough) as quickly as possible. No edits, no analyzing, no obsessing. Just record the story as it plays out in my head. Skipping chapters is okay when I don't quite have a part figured out yet. I just make a few notes of what I expect to write in that chapter, then move on with the story. I now understand what has shut me down in previous novels - you can't create and analyze at the same time. Pure creation is wonderful. It's like a locomotive, driving forward with power and momentum. Now, back to work!

11/30/12 - Nanowrimo was a great success. I passed 50,000 words with two days to spare. Most importantly, I completed the rough draft of a novel. Much editing to do... after the holidays. It was an amazing experience to allow myself to just create. I loved chasing the story and getting to know the characters. It was hard work that often left me mentally exhausted, with aching arms and shoulders from so much typing. But it was worth the effort.

No comments: