"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Friday, July 9, 2010

Decisions... Decisions....

Jesus was faced with a decision that was so traumatic, He literally sweated blood. I am thankful that my decisions are not that difficult. What the Lord revealed to me was this: He had two choices and He did not like either of them. He could go to the cross or not. Jesus understood His Father's plan for Him. He understood what His crucifixion would accomplish. He knew the Torah well and had found himself in it. He had read all of the prophecies about His birth, ministry, death and resurrection. He walked into that garden to pray with full understanding of all that was about to happen to Him. He needed to prepare Himself for it.

If He went through with His Father's plan, He would be surrendering Himself to be scourged, ridiculed and crucified. He had seen crucifixions before. He knew what lay ahead. He did not want to undergo such utter humiliation. He was human after all. He was tempted to choose another path. He understood the nature of free will. He knew that He did have a choice. Later that night, He would say to Peter, "Don't you know that I could pray to my Father right now and He would immediately send more than twelve legions of angels?"
Jesus knew that if He asked His Father to save Him, it would be done on the spot. (Lord, please help me to obtain that level of faith) But, He also knew that He had one shot at this. If His Father saved Him, all of mankind would be lost. I believe that was the pressure that drew His first blood. This was THE battle of the will for all ages. Ultimately, He chose His Father's will.

What amazed me in this was the realization that even if Jesus had chosen not to be arrested, His Father would have backed Him up. His Father would have sent angels to deliver Him. There would have been consequences, yes. All of mankind would have been lost. Jesus was not concerned about failing His Father or disappointing Him or being rejected by Him. Jesus had revelation knowledge of the depth of His Father's unconditional love. He knew that His relationship with His Father was eternally established in love. Jesus bowed His will in order to avoid the consequences. He chose the cross that we might be saved.

In the past week, two people have expressed concern to me about failing God. I see now that the Lord was setting me up for a deeper revelation of something I sort of already knew. Once we are born again, we cannot fail God. Our actions may bring unpleasant consequences to ourselves or others, which is why He asks us to submit to His will. His will is always the best way. Our Father created us to have free will and will honor our will, even if our will is to be separated from Him for all eternity.

The Lord spoke something profound to my heart this morning as I prayed. He said that so many of His people live in fear of disobeying Him, but should be more concerned about establishing a relationship with Him. If we are obedient in receiving Jesus' shed blood, then all other disobedience can be blotted out. The problem with disobedience for a Christian is the consequence of it in this life.

There is such freedom in this revelation. It is my heart's desire to do my Father's will. But I don't have to live in fear of missing it. Even if I make a decision that is not in line with His will, His grace - His favor and mercy - will still have my back. I may find myself reaping unpleasant consequences from that decision, but my Father still loves me and is not disappointed in me. Paul said it this way, All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. - 1Corinthians 10:23

No comments: