"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Friday, July 2, 2010

My Help Comes from the Lord

Photo by Rick Welch


I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. - Psalm 121:1-2






Back in the early 90’s, I went through a self-help phase. Most of it came about because I could not take anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications while I was pregnant or nursing. Depression had been my nemesis since I was 12 years old, and no one (including myself) thought that I could be OK without medication.  But, for the sake of my babies, I was determined to do my best. I began reading all the self-help books I could find. I found my inner child. I ran with the wolves. I kept a journal of every obsessive thought, panic attack and depression trigger that I experienced. I was seeing a counselor who was very proactive and empowering. I made more progress with her than I had ever made in therapy before that. Was I still depressed? Yes. I was just coping with it. I was getting by. After Quinten was weaned, I went back on medication.

Now, looking back at that period of my life, I cringe at how self-absorbed I was. Yes, I made progress and for that I am thankful. But my focus was too much on myself. Thankfully, it was not to the exclusion of my children or my husband. I was and still am a good mother and wife; but I did not believe that about myself back then. I was terrified of failure. I lived in fear of “going off the deep end.” So, I was constantly analyzing myself, my emotions and my behavior. I was determined to “fix” myself.

Lately, I have recognized this same attitude of “fix thyself” in the church in general. I read articles in Christian publications that remind me of the self-help books I used to read. I hear it in people’s speech. I’ve recognized it in myself. We need to do this, do that and do this other thing in order to fix ourselves.

Now, before I go any further, let me clarify. The Bible says, “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.” (1 Corinthians 11:31) We are required by God’s Word to analyze our motives and behaviors and to purify them. We are expected to grow in maturity. However, we cannot do this in our own strength or through inner focus. We must focus on Christ.

If our pursuit to be Christ-like leads us into such intense self-analysis that it causes us to be self-absorbed, then we have completely missed the mark. Matthew 6:33 commands us to “seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.” It does not tell us to seek ye first to improve thyself!

The scripture goes on to tell what will happen when you seek His Kingdom – all these things shall be added to you. What things? All the things that the Gentiles (unsaved people) seek, according to Matthew 6:32. Yes, Jesus had just been speaking about food and clothing, but I believe it includes more than that. Look at what the world is seeking after – food, clothing, relationships, security, protection, love, peace, freedom from addictions and bondages, self-improvement. All of those things will be added to the ones who seek God’s Kingdom.

What is the Kingdom of God? According to Romans 14:17, it is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 4:20 tells us that the Kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. Whenever Jesus preached the Kingdom of God, the people were healed and delivered. The power was present and it changed lives. Jesus told His disciples to do the same thing He did: preach the Kingdom of God, heal the sick, cast out demons. In other words, say what He said and do what He did. That was the secret to Jesus’ success. Jesus said what His Father said, and did what His Father told Him to do. If we did the same, would we need improvement?

Self-improvement is dependent upon the assumption that a person is lacking or incomplete. Colossians 2:9-10 tells us very clearly, “for in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. And you are complete in Him, which is the head of principality and power.”

A few months back I was in full-blown self-help mode. I was praying and asking God, “What do I need to do?” He spoke very clearly to my spirit, saying “you keep talking to me about doing and I want to talk to you about being.”

Specifically, He wanted to talk to me about who I am in Christ. My focus had been on who I thought I was, what other people thought of me, what I was lacking and what I needed to do to fix myself. Do you know what the Bible says we should do to improve ourselves? Die! Die to self! Hey, you can’t fix a dead man! If I no longer live, but Christ lives in me, then where is there room for improvement? If there is anything that I need to learn in order to help myself, it is how to die to my self and allow the fullness of Christ to shine forth through me.

My natural tendency is to be very analytical (which is a great understatement). God created me to be this way and it does have its advantages. Analysis helps me to be a good student of the Word, a good teacher, a good painter, etc. But, when I turn that sharp analysis on myself or on other people, I am in trouble!

Over-analyzing other people is another trap that Christians step into all too often.  We hear people’s problems and see their struggles and start analyzing their situations. Then we start thinking we know how to fix them. So, we give advice, we teach, we preach, we counsel. We give them steps to follow. All so that we can help them to improve. Do you know what the Bible says they need to do to improve? Die! Die to self! Let Christ live through them.

I remember hearing a joke once about how the problem with church is people. If there were no people in the church, it would be perfect. I believe that’s true. If all the people in church would die to themselves and let Christ live in and through them, it would be perfect! Hello, Church! Isn’t that what we’re supposed to do?!

None of us are going to be perfect in this life. Only Jesus was perfect. Yes, He is the mark that we strive toward. He is our goal. We are being conformed to His image. We don’t do that in 12-steps. We don’t do it in our own strength or by our own intellect. We do it by renewing our mind daily with the Word of God and seeking His Kingdom. We do it by revelation knowledge of who He is and who we are in Him. We do it by developing a relationship with Him. It is difficult to build a relationship with someone who is self-absorbed and obsessed with self-improvement. If we want a relationship with the Lord, we are going to have to spend more time focused on Him. Let Him focus on us. That’s how a relationship grows.

Jesus loved His disciples and had an amazing relationship with them. In the Gospels, you don’t hear a lot of self-improvement talks, like: “Now Peter, you know you have a temper. Let’s examine all the reasons why you have a temper. After that, I will give you some simple steps to follow that will help you to control your anger, and then you will be much more successful as an evangelist.” No. You hear things like, “Get thee behind me, Satan,” and “Oh ye of little faith.” So, did Jesus correct His disciples? Yes. Did He give them guidance? Yes. But, mostly what He did was point them to the Kingdom of God; by preaching it, then demonstrating it.

I believe that we live in an age of over-analysis and quick-fixes. We, as Christians, and the Church in unity must guard against letting these world views water down the Gospel. Instead of analyzing ourselves and those around us with the intention of fixing everyone, we must focus on Christ. We must yield to Him so that His life and love fill us, engulf us and shine through us; so that His Kingdom will be revealed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I can totally relate. I was in counseling through the church for 2 years and it was very beneficial, but it kept me looking at myself. When I was counseling with you the focus was on getting rid of the false beliefs I held about the Word. Then when counseling stopped all together and I really became Kingdom minded. God did the supernatural. Matthew 6:33 is such a powerful scripture but I believe it is taken too lightly. Powerful, powerful. Just turn your attention from the problem to the answer.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. It was exactly what I needed to hear (read) today. Carol, I have learned so much about taking the word as the word. I examine myself way too much when I should be examining what God says in the word about me. Thank you for being who you are and teaching others by your personal example. Seeking the Kingdom first does add all the personal promises that God has each of us. I love you...Joy