"Art requires much calm, and to paint the things of Christ one must live with Christ..." - Fra Angelico

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday

The Daily Kindness Challenge

Charity (love) has patience, is kind; charity (love) is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up; does not behave indecently, does not seek her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil
~ 1Corinthians 13:4-5

Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things
~ Philippians 4:8

Thoughtful Thursday has two goals. The first is obvious - to be considerate of other people's needs. The second goal follows the above scriptures by examining your own thoughts and keeping them positive. Be considerate of others and think well of them.

I often use 1 Corinthians 13 as my measuring stick. If I love someone, am I being kind to them? Am I being patient with them? Do I think well of them? When I ask myself these questions, I always see failures. I know I'll never be perfect at it, but I can at least do better.

Today, I strive to see people through God's eyes and think the best about them. Yes, there are times when we need to protect ourselves by recognizing when a person has less than well-meaning motives. That's certainly understandable. But, in our daily lives, most of the people we encounter are not "out to get us." They are struggling along, just as we are, making a living, looking for happiness, and trying to have a decent day. So, I will purpose to think the best of people today, and in so doing, to be kind and considerate toward them. I will look to their needs and offer a kind word where I can. Those are today's goals.

Have a kind day!

Lord, thank you for Your loving kindness toward me. Thank you for seeing past my sinful behaviors and loving me for who I truly am. Please help me to do the same for others. Help me to look past what people do and see who they really are. Help me to think well of others and to be kind and considerate. Please help all the people taking this challenge today by directing their thoughts and actions toward kindness. Amen.


No comments: